Friday, November 16, 2007

The Van, as a bedroom

Written: Friday, 9:54 a.m. (Eastern Time)

We're currently plugging along on 44 in between Tulsa and Oklahoma City. Yes, we made it through the night and had a relatively pleasant night. The kids did great, sleeping most of the way. They all woke up about 1/2 hour before Tulsa, where we stopped to eat breakfast. (Note to self: Denny's has much larger kid meals than Big Boy).

Eric drove from home to the west side of St. Louis, and then I took most of Missouri. Bad plan on my part. I didn't realize that the civil engineers who designed 44 in Missouri forgot to use any dynamite to blast through any hills or mountains. They carefully and consistently went where the hills went. I guess they would call this "organic engineering", 'ya think? Not suited well for a motion-sickness-prone driver wearing her four-prescription-old glasses at 3:30 a.m.

Best quote of the trip so far: "Hey! I went to sleep in Indiana and I woke up in Missouri 5 minutes later!" -- Levi, at 3 a.m.

The stats, for those of you who are wondering when I was going to get to them:
Gas: 2 fill-ups, (not counting the full tank upon leaving home) 31 gallons, 705 miles
Temperature: 51 degrees, bright and sunny
Condition of fields in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri: ummmm, dark


No comments: